miraDry® versus Botulinum toxin
If it’s a matter of cost, miraDry® comes out on top
• One session of Botulinum toxin under each arm will provide three to six months of reduced underarm sweating
• This means that treatment will need to be continued every 3-6 months in order to effectively stop underarm
• In contrast, miraDry® is a permanent solution to stop underarm sweating in one to two treatments.
Although the cost of both treatments varies based on the treatment facility, the cost of a miraDry® treatment is roughly the same as undergoing five Botulinum toxin (R4900 – R 5900) treatments; however, it will last a lifetime.
If it’s a matter of odour protection, miraDry® takes the lead
• Botulinum toxin is an effective solution to stop underarm sweating, but does it not affect odour
• miraDry® is a permanent solution for not only underarm sweating, but also odour
• Rather than blocking the signal that allows your body to produce sweat, miraDry® reduces sweat glands by killing them off by 70 to 90%
If it’s a matter of long-term effectiveness, miraDry® is the winner
• Some sufferers with extreme cases of hyperhidrosis return for a second treatment to see if they can further
reduce sweating, the results are lasting, and treatment does not need to be repeated
If it’s a matter of recovery process, Botulinum toxin comes out ahead
• Although both procedures are minimally invasive and do not have drastic side effects, patients may suffer some bruising, swelling, and numbness as a result of miraDry® treatment compared to Botulinum toxin
miraDry™ vs Botulinum Toxin Split Study for Sweating
Study by Dr. Gavin Chan
Dr. Gavin Chan has a background in intensive care, anaesthesia, and emergency medicine. Since 2004, Dr. Chan has provided cosmetic procedures, including anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, liposuction, fat transfer, skin needling, and laser treatments. He is a doctor trainer for various dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections.
Victorian Cosmetic Institute
Dr. Gavin Chan